There are no family photographs, only memories. Memories of a five-year old imprisoned by Japanese soldiers. Memories of love, courage and most of all hope. Hope that there was a God who would walk through the valley of death, known as WWII, with her. And He did.

Tuesday, February 13, 2007

A Train Ride (June 1942)

I haven't written for a while . . . I know. It's getting harder every day. A letter was sent to our house and the next thing I know, we are packing our suitcases. Then they put us on a train. Many people are with us, all women and children. Pappie and Opa were put on another train.

It's not much fun. Nothing smells right and we are all hungry, thirsty and scared.

I hear whispers that we are going to a place called Twejeng. Why are we going there? It's just an old sugar factory. Maybe my big sister will tell you more later. I think she knows why we are going there. Yes, I'll have her write more about this train ride when she is ready to talk.

My sister's name is Greta. She's twelve and very beautiful. I hope the Japanese soldiers will leave her alone now. Yes, maybe in Twejeng she won't have to worry about them. God will keep us safe. That's what Mammie says and I believe it with all my heart.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

What a very scary time...

Rosemary said...

Odd. This post gave me the creeps. Hindsight, I guess. You're keeping it real!!!

Unknown said...

You blog was "Site of the Moment" over on page 12 in BLOG VILLAGE.

Unknown said...

At 8:48pm on March 7, 2007, your blog was "Site of the Moment" over on page 1 in BLOG VILLAGE!!!